Wednesday, May 15, 2013

'You've Got Some Stuff'

For the past six months, NPR's weekend "All Things Considered" has featured the series "Movies I've Seen a Million Times," where filmmakers, actors, writers and directors talk about the movies that they never get tired of watching. More than a dozen people have contributed, detailing why they can't get enough of movies ranging from "The Godfather" to "Clueless" (one of my all-time favorites).

I have a rather long list of movies I could contribute to the series and, thanks to a cable subscription, it keeps growing. The list includes movies I've loved most of my life ("Stand By Me," "Ferris Bueller," "She's Having a Baby"), movies tied to a time and place ("Chasing Amy," "Office Space," "Clueless") and newer discoveries ("Sarah Marshall," "Crazy, Stupid, Love." "Easy A").

"Bridesmaids" fits into the newer-discoveries category, a movie I saw in the theater and have watched dozens and dozens of times on cable since. There are so many reasons to like the movie—the performances, the jokes, the friendships—but the thing that keeps me tuning in over and over is Annie's fall, and how much I relate to it.

Throughout the movie, Annie's life is crumbling around her. She's lost her business and her boyfriend, has a terrible job, worse roommates and a still worse car. The disappointments pile up and up and up until Annie feels like she's going to break under the weight of it all. She sees no hope in her situation so willfully makes terrible decisions and refuses any help.

I understand how could Annie fall into despair, why she believes her life is total garbage and won't ever change. Sometimes bad news arrives in pairs or large groups. Sometimes the only way you can think of to respond is by hiding. Sometimes it feels easier to give in than to fight.

Once Annie accepts responsibility for her past failures, and potential future successes, she's able to move forward. I haven't hit bottom like she did, but I know action works better than passivity. I know I'm the cause of and solution to all the challenges I face.

Even though I know all this, even though I feel like I'm at least slightly better together than Annie is, I still tune in to "Bridesmaids." Seeing her make all the wrong moves reminds me why I have to keep trying to make the right ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment