Saturday, July 27, 2013

'Captured My Imagination'

Sixteen years ago my brother took me to see the new movie from the guy who made "Clerks" and "Mallrats." With that first viewing of "Chasing Amy," I became a life-long Kevin Smith fan.

Earlier this year, I read Smith's latest book (which I wrote a bit about here), which reinforces the message he shares in most of his talks, podcasts and whatnot—to follow your dreams. This week, Smith posted a long entry on his blog about following his latest dream, in this case turning a story he and producing partner Scott Mosier talked about on their podcast into a quickly hammered-out screenplay into a movie that will being shooting this fall.

To sum up, he wrote, "The moral of the story, kids? Chase every dopey dream you ever have, so long as it doesn't involve hurting or killing anybody. You never know where it will lead you."

At nearly 36, I'm trying to do that more, to follow through on any of the millions of little ideas that have spun through my head and turn them into reality. I'm currently filling up a notebook with the beginnings of something. I've also decided what project I'm going to start once I end this project in a few weeks.

I don't know what will come of any of this but the act of putting pen to paper, of seeing words fill a page, of the ideas moving from my head out into the physical world is so exciting. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment