Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Counting Down

I turn 35 in six weeks. I don't lie about my age or get too hung up on it, usually, but turning 35 feels like a pretty big deal, maybe even a bigger deal than turning 30 was.

When I was younger, I didn't map my life out perfectly, intending to check off certain accomplishments at certain times, but I'm confident in the knowledge that the reality of my life at nearly 35 is nothing like the life I imagined for myself when I was 18 or 22 or 30. I've made strides in certain areas and fallen far short in others, which I guess to be the case for all of us, though I'd like for my successes to outweigh my shortcomings.

That's where "What Is 35?" comes in. Knowing that my birthday is just around the corner, I felt like I wanted to do something to set me on the right path for what's next. I know I'm not going to become the model adult in the next six weeks, or even in the next year and six weeks, but I'd like to feel better about myself and my life on the eve of my 36th birthday than I do on the eve of my 35th. How can I do that?

I truly believe in the benefits of learning from the experiences and examples of others, it's why I went to college, take yoga, read and generally try to absorb as much wisdom and advice as possible. Over the next year, I'll be interviewing as many woman as I can about their experiences being 35. I'm starting with family and friends but hope this project will take on a life of its own and that I'll be able to share the stories of as wide a range of women as possible. I may even get a man or two to weigh in.

I'm excited to see how this turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment