Thursday, November 29, 2012

'Never Stop Reading This!'

On Tuesday's episode of "New Girl," Jess and CeCe took a test to see how many eggs they had left and how much time they had to start families. Thank you, universe, for bringing up this topic yet again.

I pretty much said all I really need to say about all that two weeks ago, so, thankfully, another plot point in the episode struck a chord with me as well.

Nick has regularly been struggling with his quarter-life crisis on the show. In Tuesday's episode, pushed by the success his lifelong friend Winston has found at work, Nick decides he's going to finally write his zombie novel. Unfortunately, Nick isn't a finisher—he didn't finish law school and Winston's confident he won't finish the zombie novel either.

After a drunken visit to the zoo (Nick's attempt at a Hemmingway-esque adventure), he does pound out the zombie novel, which is terrible, and dedicates it to Winston, who does an incredible read for all the roommates.

Even though it's terrible, Nick's zombie novel is an accomplishment I can relate to. I'm more of an idea person than a follow-through person. I have millions of plots and schemes and, sadly, very little to show for any of it. Lately, though, I've made some progress.

On my other blog I started a project earlier this year where I would listen to every CD I own in order and, nearly eight months later, I'm nearly done. It only took me six months to get started, and at times seemed impossible that I would get through all 346 CDs, but I'm doing it.

At work, I pitched a somewhat involved feature story for our December issue that's currently in the production process. I found the people to interview, made the calls, did the research, gathered the art and wrote it, and it's pretty good.

These are very small victories, but victories nonetheless. Like Nick's zombie novel, I know seeing these projects through to the end won't magically make everything in my life perfect, but they're both setting me on a path where I know I can turn more ideas into reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment