Wednesday, September 26, 2012

'The Streets Don't Change but Maybe the Name'

A recent yoga class made me think about role models. I've been blessed in my life to have a super-abundance of positive female role models, starting with my family and extending through friends, teachers, bosses, coworkers and public figures. Author Patricia Kennealy Morrison and Rolling Stone contributor Kim Neely let me know journalism was a possible career track, and my college advisor and the many editors and writers I've worked for and with helped me turn that possibility in reality.

Scanning through my list of strong female role models, from my mom to Madonna to my former manager to Hillary Clinton, it occurred to me that while my life is seemingly overflowing with female role models, I am suffering from a dearth of positive male role models. There are some, like an old boss who showed me what it takes to be a successful writer and businessperson, or my brother, with his toughness and loyalty, but I could definitely benefit from more.

What better place to cultivate more male role models than here? I've already approached one friend about being my first male contributor and will be approaching more. To that end, I've slightly altered the questionnaire:

Your name (first name and last initial)
What year did you turn 35?
Where were you living then?
What were you doing then?
What big personal milestones happened when you were 35?
What major events happened in the world that year?
What are your favorite memories of being 35?
What did you like best about yourself at that age?
What did you like least about yourself at that age?
What were the biggest lessons you learned at that age?
What were the biggest misconceptions you had about being 35?
What was the most surprising thing about being 35?
If you could go back to that age knowing what you know now, what would you do differently?
What advice can you offer to other 35-year-olds?
Is there anything else you'd like to share about your experiences being 35?

If you'd like to share your experience of life at 35 and beyond, please e-mail me at whatis35@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment