Wednesday, January 9, 2013

'Here I Go Again'

Even though I have loner tendencies, I don't believe that anyone makes it through this world on their own. We all have heroes and champions, people who paved our way through their actions, assistance, encouragement or, sometimes, discouragement.

I write today's entry in an empty house. The only interaction I've had today, aside from online, is with my dog. That doesn't mean I'm on my own. Over the last couple of weeks, so many people have reached out to share their experiences, to let me know how they made it through their periods of joblessness, pretty much all for the better.

Mike, this week's contributor, is one of those gracious people. Since turning 35, Mike reported the following major milestones in his life:

  1. Moved in with my gf
  2. Broke up with my gf and moved out
  3. Lived overseas for 2.5 months
  4. Traveled to Europe and Japan a few times
  5. Launched a brand new cable network in 2007, one which is going very strongly still. I no longer work there, I quit, but, I am proud of how well it did/is doing.

Your name (first name and last initial) Mike F.

What year did you turn 35? 2005

Where were you living then? Redondo Beach, California

What were you doing then (working, going to school, raising kids, etc.)? Working

What big personal milestones happened when you were 35 (got married, bought a house, moved to a new city, started a new job, etc.)? No major milestones.

What major events happened in the world that year? London Underground terrorist bombing, Saddam Hussein's trial, Hurricane Katrina, Israeli Troops left Gaza, Pope John Paul II died ....

What are your favorite memories of being 35? No one specific thing. Life was good for me then. I liked my job, loved where I lived, had great friends, etc., much like now.

What did you like best about yourself at that age? I liked how I was becoming a better and more mature adult. More generous, thoughtful. I liked that I had accumulated a track record in life, could look back and see where I was strong, weak, etc. But, mostly, I just liked that I had turned out to be a down-to-earth, well-adjusted and productive person, one whose family and friends could rely upon.

What did you like least about yourself at that age? Still a little too sarcastic at that stage of my life. And a little too eager to argue about little, meaningless things.

What were the biggest lessons you learned at that age? None that I can recall, it was seven years ago. It was mostly a normal year for me.

What were the biggest misconceptions you had about being 35? That age is a number and that it's all in your mind, tell that to my body after a day of playing sports.

What was the most surprising thing about being 35? That I didn't feel old at all.

If you could go back to that age knowing what you know now, what would you do differently? I'd let the little things slide.

What advice can you offer to other 35-year-olds? Let the little things slide. Seriously, life's too short to stand on ceremony or be spiteful for spite's sake, be the one who smoothes things over, who takes the high road, etc..not at the cost of being a doormat, of course, but, don't let ego or pride undo good things.

Is there anything else you'd like to share about your experiences being 35? Not really. I wish I had some sort of amazing series of stories about turning 35 but it really was just another good year in a stretch of good years from age 25–38 or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment